Carrying the weight of past hurts drags down our energy, health, and enthusiasm for life. Forgiveness is a practice that is scientifically proven to help us feel happier, more optimistic, and more self-confident.
Forgiveness is NOT about:
- condoning behavior (failing to see it as wrong)
- excusing behavior (failing to hold the offender as responsible for their actions and the pain they’ve caused)
- forgetting behavior (failing to remember that the pain happened)
- or reconciling the relationship.
- a decision only you get to make. No one can force you to forgive if you are not ready.
- a trainable skill. You can learn how to forgive others and yourself.
- a journey of understanding, exploration, and effort. It will not happen overnight and it may not be easy, but each step takes you closer to closure and healing.
- about peace, not justice. The people who hurt you may never be punished for their actions, but that shouldn’t prevent you from moving on with your life.
The Nine Steps through the Major Arcana for Forgiveness
(based on research by Fred Luskin)
1. The High Priestess
3. The Hanged Man
6. The Devil
7. The Star
8. The Sun
9. The World
Images shown are The High Priestess and The Sun from the Revelations Tarot by Zach Wong © 2005 Llewellyn Worldwide, Ltd., Strength and Temperance from The Green Witch Tarot by Ann Moura and Kiri Ostergaard Leonard © 2015 Llewellyn Worldwide, Ltd., The Hanged Man from The Linestrider Tarot by Siolo Thompson © 2016 Llewellyn Worldwide, Ltd., Death and The World from the Robin Wood Tarot Deck by Robin Wood © 2002 Llewellyn Worldwide, Ltd., The Devil from The Wild Unknown Tarot Deck available at www.thewildunknown.com, The Star from the After Tarot Kit by Corrine Kenner, Pietro Alligo, and Giulia F. Massaglia © 2017 Lo Scarabeo, Italy.