How was your week, my tarot-loving friend? I’ve been exploring some seriously amazing Renaissance art in Houston, searching out the best BBQ in San Antonio, and wandering from dive bar to dive bar in Austin. Life is good, isn’t it?
1. A TAROT MAGAZINE!!!! – The tarot community is amazing. One of my favorite tarot-peeps is Gretchen, i.e. WillowsEast. She is extremely creative and generous, with a whole bunch of tarot journal printables available on her website (which are much more beautifully designed than many of my journal printables, let’s be honest!).
She’s also started a tarot e-magazine called In The Cards. The first issue is out now and I couldn’t be more excited to share it with you. You can get your copy here, and if you’re brave, you can submit something to the next issue.
2. DON’T COMPARE – You know that paragraph that starts this blog post? It’s all true, but it doesn’t tell you the whole story. Yes, I live a location-independent, digital-nomad, full-time-travel life. And it’s wonderful – but it’s not always fun. This blog post by another full-time traveler is the most honest “day in the life” (good and bad) description of what it’s actually like to live on the road.
Please don’t compare your choices to what I choose to share on the internet. I purposely don’t share the hard/bad stuff. I started working towards this lifestyle of freedom & independence in 2009. It’s taken me 8 years to get here and I’ve made some big sacrifices along the way that I still question and doubt. I’m only saying this because I get a lot of people saying, “Oh, I wish I could live your life,” and if you want to, you totally can. But honestly, you may not want to. It’s not all sunshine and roses. And I wish more people would be real about that.
3. TRAINS > PLANES – I just discovered how fun it is to travel by train! Amtrak has had a tough time lately, but my experiences have been 95% amazing. There is no security line, no TSA check ins, no paying extra for luggage, no waiting in line, and no cramped economy seats. If you have the time, I highly recommend giving the train a try. They also have a great “points” reward system, just like airline miles. I’ve already earned enough for a free trip, which just makes me love them all the more.
4. MAKE A CHOICE – I’ve been obsessing about this quote lately…
The opposite of love is not hate, it’s indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it’s indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it’s indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it’s indifference.
– Elie Wiesel
What would our lives be like if we stopped being indifferent and started choosing?
5. MONEY, MONEY, MONEY – Money, sex, politics, and religion. The world would be much better off if we had honest discussions of these “taboo” topics. So let’s talk MONEY!
Here’s a tarot spread for helping you to manage money from Little Fox Tarot, a podcast episode on money and spirituality from Biddy Tarot, and a review of the (gorgeous) Money Tarot deck by Eugene Vinitski from Benebell Wen.
MORE THINGS TO LOVE…swimming in the river wearing my skivvies…watching friends do big scary things and glow with their successes…afternoon writing sessions in my secret office…and daydreaming about every single one of these old houses for sale under $100,000.
All my love,